There are times when hiring a contractor to take on home renovations rather than doing it yourself. If this is the case it is important to choose the right contractor to work with. A contractor that is subpar can lead to a number of problems down the road. The guidelines below are helpful when looking to hire a professional contractor to do work on your home.
- First things first, it is important to always trust your gut instincts when hiring people that will be working in close contact with your family. A contractor that is hired to do a renovation project will be working in your home for weeks or possibly months depending on the size of the job. If you don’t feel comfortable around the contractor that is reason enough not to hire them.
- Check to make sure that the contractor is licensed, bonded and insured. These accolades give credibility to the contractor’s knowledge and abilities to provide home renovation services. If a contractor is not insured the liability resides on you as the homeowner. If they or someone they employ is hurt while working on your homes project then the liability falls to you, the homeowner.
- Contractors are known to specialize in the services they provide. While some contractors are jacks of all trades like a handyman there are some that offer special talents in kitchen, bathroom or basement design as a specialty. If your renovation is of a specific nature seek to find a contractor that specializes in the renovation you are seeking.
- Before any work is performed be sure to have a contract in place. A contract is between the homeowner and contractor to specify what work is to be done, what materials are to be used, a time frame and a detailed list of costs involved. Most contracts on projects of any length with break down the costs that are associated with each stage of the project and go into further detail concerning expectations.
- When hiring a contractor it is important to understand the scope at which they will be providing services verse members of their crew. If they will be hiring out individual contractors to work on plumbing or electrical it is important that they note that upfront.
- Any contractor that you employ should be willing to work within a reasonable set of guidelines put in place. For instance, it is reasonable to state that you desire work to be performed within a specified time frame during the day. If you only want a contractor to perform services from 9:30 to 4:00 it is reasonable to expect that to be obliged. Note this may cost you extra because of the additional length of time to complete the project but is well within reasonable guidelines.
- Define what responsibilities fall on you as the homeowner verse what is expected out of the contractor. Who is in charge of removing obstructions that may hinder work that needs to be done such as furniture or fencing? This should be in writing to ensure that each party knows their responsibilities upfront.
Hiring a contractor to do renovations around your home is not any easy task and should not be done in haste. It is true that you get out the effort you put into things. Take time to find a local contractor with a proven track record to complete renovations around your home.
The Home Doctor, based in Livingston County including Brighton and Howell Michigan, offers a variety of home renovations to clients ranging from bathroom remodeling to age in place home modifications. Contact http://glenmillerthehomedoctor.com/ today all of your home renovating needs.